1. Aulinger, I.E. (2002). Combination of in vitro androgenesis and biolistic transformation: an approach for breeding transgenic maize (Zea mays L.) lines. Ph.D.Thesis, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland.
2. Barloy, D. and Beckert, M. (1993). Improvement of regeneration ability of androgenetic embryos by early anther transfer in maize. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture, 33: 45-50.
3. Baulcombe, D.C. and Dean, C. (2014). Epigenetic regulation in plant responses to the environment. Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology, 6(9): a019471.
4. Belchev, I., Tchorbadjieva, M. and Pantchev, I. (2004). Effect of 5-azacytidine on callus induction and plant regeneration potential in anther culture of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Bulgarian Journal Plant Physiology, 30(1-2): 45-50.
5. Berenguer, E., Bárány, I., Solís, M.T., Pérez-Pérez, Y., Risueño, M.C. and Testillano, P.S. (2017). Inhibition of histone H3K9 methylation by BIX-01294 promotes stress-induced microspore totipotency and enhances embryogenesis initiation. Frontiers in Plant Science, 8: 1161.
6. Biter, B. (1997). In vitro haploid production in maize. Springer, Dordrecht, NT. [DOI:10.1007/978-94-017-1862-2_2
7. Bossdorf, O., Arcuri, D., Richards, C.L. and Pigliucci, M. (2010). Experimental alteration of DNA methylation affects the phenotypic plasticity of ecologically relevant traits in Arabidopsis thaliana . Evolutionary Ecolology, 24: 541-553.
8. Burn, J.E., Bagnall, D.J., Metzger, J.D., Dennis, E.S. and Peacock, W.J. (1993). DNA methylation, vernalization, and the initiation of flowering. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 90(1): 287-291.
9. Chen, F. and Wang, Z.C. (2011). Effects of 5-azaC on development and DNA methylation in wheat. Journal of Henan University of Technology (Natural Science), 41(1): 61-66.
10. Chuang, J.C. and Jones, P.A. (2007). Epigenetics and microRNAs. Pediatric Research, 61(7): 24-29.
11. El-Tantawy, A.A., Solís, M.T., Costa, M.L., Coimbra, S., Risueño, M.C. and Testillano, P.S. (2013). Arabinogalactan protein profiles and distribution patterns during microspore embryogenesis and pollen development in Brassica napus. Plant Reproduction, 26(3): 231-243.
12. Fieldes, M.A. and Amyot, L.M. (1999). Epigenetic control of early flowering in flax lines induced by 5-azacytidine applied to germinating seed. Journal of Heredity, 90(1): 199-206.
13. Finnegan, E.J., Peacock, W.J. and Dennis, E.S. (2000). DNA methylation, a key regulator of plant development and other processes. Current Opinion in Genetics and Development, 10(2): 217-223.
14. Friedman, S. (1981). The inhibition of DNA (Cytosine-5) methylases by 5-azacytidine: the effect of azacytosine-containing DNA. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 19: 314-20.
15. Heo, J.B., Lee, Y.S. and Sung, S. (2013). Epigenetic regulation by long noncoding RNAs in plants. Chromosome Research, 21(6-7): 685-693.
16. Ismaili, A. and Pour Mohammadi, P. (2016). Effect of genotype, induction medium, carbohydrate source, and polyethylene glycol on embryogenesis in maize (Zea mays L.) anther culture. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 38(3): 1-8.
17. Kawakatsu, T., Nery, J.R., Castanon, R. and Ecker, J.R. (2017). Dynamic DNA methylation reconfiguration during seed development and germination. Genome Biology, 18: 171.
18. Kohler, C. and Villar, C.B. (2008). Programming of gene expression by Polycomb group proteins. Trends in Cell Biology, 18(5): 236-243.
19. Kondo, H., Miura, T., Wada, K.C. and Takeno, K. (2007). Induction of flowering by 5-azacytidine in some plant species: Relationship between the stability of photoperiodically induced flowering and flower-inducing effect of DNAdemethylation. Physiologia Plantarum, 131(3): 462-469.
20. Kondo, H., Ozaki, H., Itoh, K., Kato, A. and Takeno, K. (2006). Flowering induced by 5-azacytidine, a DNA demethylating reagent in a short-day plant, Perilla frutescens var. crispa. Physiologia Plantarum, 127(1): 130-137.
21. Kumpatla, S.P. and Hall, T.C. (1998). Longevity of 5-azacytidine-mediated gene expression and re-establishment of silencing in transgenic rice. Plant Molecular Biology, 38(6): 1113-1122.
22. Latutrie, M., Gourcilleau, D. and Pujol, B. (2019). Epigenetic variation for agronomic improvement: an opportunity for vegetatively propagated crops. American Journal of Botany, 106(10): 1281.
23. Li, S.F., Zhang, G.J., Yuan, J.H., Deng, C.L., Lu, L.D. and Gao, W.J. (2015). Effect of 5-azaC on the growth, flowering time and sexual phenotype of spinach. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology, 62(5): 670-675.
24. Li, W.Z., Song, Z.H., Guo, B.T. and Xu, L.J. (2001). The effects of DNA hypomethylating drugs on androgenesis in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology-Plant, 37(5): 605-608.
25. Li, Z.A., Li, J., Zhu, Q.Q., Liu, Y.H. and Wang, Z.C. (2017). Effect of exrernal 5-azaC on physiology and DNA methylation and gene-expression of Chrysanthemum. Journal of Henan University of Technology (Natural Science), 47(2): 162-169.
26. Meijón, M., Feito, I., Valledor, L., Rodríguez, R. and Cañal, M.J. (2010). Dynamics of DNA methylation and histone H4 acetylation during floral bud differentiation in azalea. BMC Plant Biology, 10(1): 1-14.
27. Munsamy, A., Rutherford, R.S., Snyman, S. and Watt, M.P. (2013). 5-Azacytidine as a tool to induce somaclonal variants with useful traits in sugarcane (Saccharum spp.). Plant Biotechnology Reports, 7(4): 489-502.
28. Nageli, M., Schmid, J.E., Stamp, P. and Biter, B. (1999). Improved formation of regenerable callus in isolated microspore culture of maize: impact of carbohydrates, plating density and time of transfer. Plant Cell Reports, 19(2): 177-184.
29. Qian, Y., Xi, Y., Cheng, B. and Zhu, S. (2014). Genome-wide identification and expression profiling of DNA methyltransferase gene family in maize. Plant Cell Reports, 33(10): 1661-1672.
30. Osorio-Montalvo, P., Sáenz-Carbonell, L. and De-la-Peña, C. (2018). 5-azacytidine: a promoter of epigenetic changes in the quest to improve plant somatic embryogenesis. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 19(10): 3182.
31. Pecinka, A. and Liu, C.H. (2014). Drugs for plant chromosome and chromatin research. Cytogenetic and Genome Research, 143(1-3): 51-59.
32. Pfaffl, M.W., Horgan, G.W. and Dempfle, L. (2002). Relative expression software tool (REST©) for group-wise comparison and statistical analysis of relative expression results in real-time PCR. Nucleic Acids Research, 30(9): e36.
33. Shugar, L. (1998). Application of Doubled-Haploid Systems. Hyland seeds, W.G. Thomson and Sons Limited-Narin, Ontario, CA.
34. Solís, M.T., El-Tantawy, A.A., Cano, V., Risueño, M.C. and Testillano, P.S. (2015). 5-azacytidine promotes microspore embryogenesis initiation by decreasing global DNA methylation, but prevents subsequent embryo development in rapeseed and barley. Frontiers in Plant Science, 6: 472.
35. Tatra, G.S., Miranda, J., Chinnappa, C.C. and Reid, D.M. (2000). Effect of light quality and 5-azacytidine on genomic methylation and stem elongation in two ecotypes of Stellaria longipes. Physiologia Plantarum, 109(3): 313-321.
36. Testillano, P.S., Solís, M.T. and Risueño, M.C. (2013). The 5-Methyl-Deoxy-Cytidine (5mdc) localization to reveal in situ the dynamics of DNA methylation chromatin pattern in a variety of plant organ and tissue cells during development. Physiologia Plantarum, 149: 104-113.
37. Teyssier, C., Maury, S., Beaufour, M., Grondin, C., Delaunay, A. and Le Mette, C. (2014). In search of markers for somatic embryo maturation in hybrid larch (Larix X Eurolepis): global DNA methylation and proteomic analyses. Physiologia Plantarum, 150: 271-291.
38. Touraev, A., Brian, P. and Mohan, S. (2009). Advances in Haploid Production in Higher Plants. Springer Science, Dordrecht, NT. [DOI:10.1007/978-1-4020-8854-4
39. Tyunin, A.P., Kiselev, K.V. and Zhuravlev, Y.N. (2012). Effects of 5-azacytidine induced DNA demethylation on methyltransferase gene expression and resveratrol production in cell cultures of Vitis amurensis. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture, 111(1): 91-100.
40. Wang, Z.C., Nie, L.J. and He, Y.X. (2009). The effect of 5-azacytidine to the DNA methylation and morphogenesis character of Chrysanthemum during In vitro growth. Acta Horticulturae Sinica, 36(12): 1783-1790.
41. Zhu, Q.Q. (2014). Effect of 5-azaC on DNA methylation and gene-expression of chrysanthemum. Master Thesis. Henan University, Kaifeng, Henan, China.