1. Adu-Bobie, J., Frankel, G., Bain, C., Goncalves, A.G., Trabulsi, L.R., Douce, G., Knutton, S. and Dougan, G. (1998). Detection of intimins α, β, γ, and δ, four intimin derivatives expressed by attaching and effacing microbial pathogens. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 36: 662-668.
2. Allen, K.J., Rogan, D., Finlay, B.B., Potter, A.A. and Asper, D.J. (2011). Vaccination with type III secreted proteins leads to decreased shedding in calves after experimental infection with Escherichia coli O157. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, 75: 98-105.
3. Amani, J., Mousavi, S.L., Rafati, S. and Salmanian, A.H. (2009). In silico analysis of chimeric espA, eae and tir fragments of Escherichia coli O157:H7 for oral immunogenic applications. Theoretical Biology and Medical Modelling, 6: 28-38.
4. Amani, J., Mousavi, S.L., Rafati, S. and Salmanian, A.H. (2011). Immunogenicity of a plantderived edible chimeric EspA, Intimin and Tir of Escherichia coli O157: H7 in mice. Plant Science,180: 620-627.
5. Amani, J., Salmanian, A.H., Rafati, S. and Mousavi, S.L. (2010). Immunogenic properties of chimeric protein from espA,eae and tirgenes of Escherichia coli O157: H7. Vaccine, 28: 6923-6929.
6. Arai, R., Ueda, H., Kitayama, A., Kamiya, N. and Nagamune, T. (2001). Design of the linkers which effectively separate domains of a bifunctional fusion protein. Protein Engineer Design and Selection, 14: 529-532.
7. Aslani, M.M. and Bouzari, S. (2003). An epidemiological study on Verotoxin-producing Escherichia coli (VTEC) infection among population of northern region of Iran (Mazandaran and Golestan provinces). European Journal of Epidemiology, 18: 345-349.
8. Carvalho, H.M., Teel, L.D., Kokai-Kun, J.F. and O'Brien, A.D. (2005). Antibody against the carboxyl terminus of intimin α reduces enteropathogenic Escherichia coli adherence to tissue culture cells and subsequent induction of actin polymerization. Infection and Immunity, 73: 2541-2546.
9. Cook, S., Maiti, P., DeVinney, R., Allen‐Vercoe, E., Bach, S. and McAllister, T. (2007). Avian and mammalian derived antibodies against adherence associated proteins inhibit host cell colonization by Escherichia coli O157: H7. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 103: 1206-1219.
10. Dean-Nystrom, E.A., Bosworth, B.T., Moon, H.W. and O’brien, A.D. (1998). Escherichia coli O157: H7 requires intimin for enteropathogenicity in calves. Infection and Immunity, 66: 4560-4563.
11. Dziva, F., Van Diemen, P.M., Stevens, M.P., Smith, A.J. and Wallis, T.S. (2004). Identification of Escherichia coli O157: H7 genes influencing colonization of the bovine gastrointestinal tract using signature-tagged mutagenesis. Microbiology, 150: 3631-3645.
12. Fan, H.Y., Wang, L., Luo, J. and Long, B.G. (2012). Protection against Escherichia coli O157: H7 challenge by immunization of mice with purified Tir proteins. Molecular Biology Reports, 39: 989-997.
13. Garmendia, J., Frankel, G. and Crepin, V.F. (2005). Enteropathogenic and enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli infections: translocation, translocation, translocation. Infection and Immunity, 73:2585-2573.
14. Jerse, A. and Kaper, J. (1991). The eae gene of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli encodes a 94- kilodalton membrane protein, the expression of which is influenced by the EAF plasmid. Infection and Immunity, 59: 4302-4309.
15. Judge, N.A., Mason, H.S. and O'Brien, A.D. (2004). Plant cell-based intimin vaccine given orally to mice primed with intimin reduces time of Escherichia coli O157: H7 shedding in feces. Infection and Immunity, 72: 168-175.
16. Kahrizi, D., Salmanian, A.H., Afshari, A., Moieni, A. and Mousavi, A. (2007). Simultaneous substitution of Gly96 to Ala and Ala183 to Thr in 5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase gene of E. coli (k12) and transformation of rapeseed (Brassica napus L.) in order to make tolerance to glyphosate. Plant Cell Reports, 26: 95-104.
17. Kang, T.J., Han, S.C., Jang, M.O., Kang, K.H., Jang, Y.S. and Yang, M.S. (2004). Enhanced expression of B-subunit of Escherichia coli heat-labile enterotoxin in tobacco by optimization of coding sequence. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 117: 175-187.
18. Karimi, F., Mousavi, A., Salmanian, A.H., Alizadeh, H. and Rafati, S. (2013). Immunogenicity of EIT chimeric protein expressed in transplastomic tobacco plants towards development of an oral vaccine against Escherichia coli O157: H7. Plant Biotechnology Reports, 7: 535-546.
19. Karmali, M.A. (1989). Infection by verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli. Clinical Microbiology Reviews, 2: 15-38.
20. Khaitsa, M.L., Smith, D.R., Stoner, J.A., Parkhurst, A.M., Hinkley, S., Klopfenstein, T.J. and Moxley, R.A. (2003). Incidence, duration, and prevalence of Escherichia coli O157:H7 fecal shedding by feedlot cattle during the finishing period. Journal of Food Protection, 66: 1972-2179.
21. La Ragione, R.M., Patel, S., Maddison, B., Woodward, M.J., Best, A., Whitelam, G.C. and Gough, K.C. (2006). Recombinant anti-EspA antibodies block Escherichia coli O157: H7-induced attaching and effacing lesions in vitro. Microbes and Infection, 8: 426-433.
22. Lal, P., Ramachandran, V., Goyal, R. and Sharma, R. (2007). Edible vaccines: current status and future. Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology, 25: 93-102.
23. McNeilly, T.N., Mitchell, M.C., Nisbet, A.J., McAteer, S., Erridge, C., Inglis, N.F., Smith, D.G., Low, J.C., Gally, D.L. and Huntley, J.F. (2010a). IgA and IgG antibody responses following systemic immunization of cattle with native H7 flagellin differ in epitope recognition and capacity to neutralise TLR5 signalling. Vaccine, 28: 1412-1421.
24. McNeilly, T.N., Mitchell, M.C., Rosser, T., McAteer, S., Low, J.C., Smith, D.G., Huntley, J.F., Mahajan, A. and Gally, D.L. (2010b). Immunization of cattle with a combination of purified intimin-531, EspA and Tir significantly reduces shedding of Escherichia coli O157: H7 following oral challenge. Vaccine, 28: 1422-1428.
25. Moon, H., Whipp, S., Argenzio, R., Levine, M. and Giannella, R. (1983). Attaching and effacing activities of rabbit and human enteropathogenic Escherichia coli in pig and rabbit intestines. Infection and Immunity, 41: 1340-1351.
26. Moravec, T., Schmidt, M.A., Herman, E.M. and Woodford Thomas, T. (2007). Production of Escherichia coli heat labile toxin (LT) B subunit in soybean seed and analysis of its immunogenicity as an oral vaccine. Vaccine, 25: 1647-1657.
27. Murphy, M., Buckley, J., Whyte, P., O’Mahony, M., Anderson, W., Wall, P. and Fanning, S. (2007). Surveillance of dairy production holdings supplying raw milk to the farmhouse cheese sector for Escherichia coli O157, O26 and O111. Zoonoses and Public Health, 54: 358-365.
28. Oliveira, A.F., Cardoso, S.A., Almeida, F.B., De-Oliveira, L.L., Pitondo-Silva, A., Soares, S.G .and Hanna, E.S. (2012). Oral immunization with attenuated Salmonella vaccine expressing Escherichia coli O157:H7 intimin gamma triggers both systemic and mucosal humoral immunity in mice. Microbiol and Immunology, 56: 513-522.
29. Potter, A.A., Klashinsky, S., Li, Y., Frey, E., Townsend, H., Rogan, D., Erickson, G., Hinkley, S , Klopfenstein, T. and Moxley, R.A. (2004). Decreased shedding of Escherichia coli O157: H7 by cattle following vaccination with type III secreted proteins. Vaccine, 22: 362-369.
30. Roe, A.J., Yull, H., Naylor, S.W., Woodward, M.J., Smith, D.G. and Gally, D.L. (2003). Heterogeneous surface expression of EspA translocon filaments by Escherichia coli O157: H7 is controlled at the posttranscriptional level. Infection and Immunity, 71: 5900-5909.
31. Rossi, L., Di Giancamillo, A., Reggi, S., Domeneghini, C., Baldi, A., Sala, V., Dell'Orto, V., Coddens, A., Cox, E. and Fogher, C. (2013). Expression of verocytotoxic Escherichia coli antigens in tobacco seeds and evaluation of gut immunity after oral administration in mouse model. Journal of Veterinary Science, 14: 263-270.
32. Sedighianrad, H., Mousavi, S.L., Rasooli, I., Amani, J. and Jalali-Nadooshan, M.R. (2013). EspA-Intimin chimeric protein, a candidate vaccine against Escherichia coli O157:H7. Iranian Journal of Microbiology, 5(3): 244-251.
33. Shekarforoush, S., Tahamtan, Y. and Pourbakhsh, A. (2008). Detection and frequency of Stx2 gene in Escherichia coli O157 and O157: H7 strains isolated from sheep carcasses in Shiraz-Iran. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 11: 1085-1092.
34. Stevens, M.P., Van Diemen, P.M., Dziva, F., Jones, P.W. and Wallis, T.S. (2002). Options for the control of enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli in ruminants. Microbiology, 148: 3767-3778.
35. Stewart, C.S. and Flint, H.J. (1999) Escherichia coli O157 in farm animals, CABI Publishing, New York, USA.
36. Tree, J.J., Wolfson, E.B., Wang, D., Roe, A.J. and Gally, D.L. (2009). Controlling injection: regulation of type III secretion in enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli. Trends in Microbiology, 17: 370-361.
37. Van-Diemen, P.M., Dziva, F., Stevens, M.P. and Wallis, T.S. (2005). Identification of enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O26: H-genes required for intestinal colonization in calves. Infection and Immunity, 73: 1735-1743.
38. Yekta, M.A., Goddeeris, B., Vanrompay, D. and Cox, E. (2011). Immunization of sheep with a combination of intiminγ, EspA and EspB decreases Escherichia coli O157: H7 shedding. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, 140: 42-46.